- Cleats/Athletic shoe
- Cleats are better than shoes as they give you better traction on the slick turf field.
- Rubberized cleats and screw-in cleats (require maintenance) are both acceptable.
- Pocketless shorts (provided by the league at the start of the season)
- This is a safety issue. We don’t allow players to play with pockets as player fingers might get trapped when attempting to deflag.
- Flag football belt (this is provided by the league at each game).
- Jersey (provided by the league at the start of the season).
- Yours to keep, you are responsible for bringing it to each game.
Tall socks or athletic tights are often worn by players to avoid turf burn.
- Turf burn is equivalent to a rug burn and happens occasionally if you slide on the turf field. The taller socks/tights help prevent this situation from happening.
Some players invest in receiver gloves (usually cost around $50).
- It’s easier to catch footballs with receiver gloves but they are by no means required.
Some flag football players wear Mouthguards for additional protection.
- Although flag football is not a full-contact sport, you can never be too safe!
If you prefer to shop online all of this equipment can be purchased at Amazon.ca.